More than 200 people have been slaughtered during the past seven days in the most violent week in the criminal insurgency racking Mexico since President Felipe Calderón unleashed federal forces against drug trafficking gangs.
The carnage has cut a wide arc through Mexico and underscored the gangsters' brazen willingness to take on military troops and Mexican federal police in direct combat.
Among this week's victims were 12 federal police officers ambushed Monday by presumed gangsters in western Michoacan state and three others bushwhacked in northern Chihuahua state. Army troops shot it out with gunmen Tuesday in Taxco, a tourist mecca 100 miles south of Mexico City, killing 15 alleged criminals.
"The difference now is that the criminals and security forces are clashing more frequently," said Raul Benitez-Manaut, a national security analyst. "The criminals are directly challenging the government."
Heavy violence
The conflict constitutes the most serious organized violence since the Mexican Revolution began a century ago. And it has become one of the largest armed conflicts in the world.
For example, the more than 2,700 people murdered last year in Ciudad Juarez outstrips the combat fatalities suffered by civilians and Allied troops in Afghanistan during the same period, according to statistics compiled by United Nations and private analysts.
On Wednesday, investigators recovered the bodies of five city police officers butchered in a Monterrey suburb. Dozens of policemen have been killed in the Monterrey area in recent months.
The governor of Nayarit, the state that includes the small beach resorts outside Puerto Vallarta popular with U.S. tourists, cancelled the remainder of the school year. Parents had panicked amid rumors that gangsters were going to target drug rivals' children following gun battles in the state capital that killed 30 people during the weekend.
Gov. Ney Gonzalez called on Calderón to send federal troops to Nayarit, which hadn't suffered significant gang violence until recently.
"Society asks the government to act, and we are going to act," Gonzalez told the newspaper Universal on Wednesday. "This is our territory. We are going to protect and defend it."
Good luck Mr. president.
Jun18,2010
Jun
18,
2010
Mexico's bloodshed worsens as 200 hundreds die in last 7 days
CATEGORIES news, R.i.P | author: NewspitterPosts Relacionados:
- Immigrant Beaten To Death By Teens Has More Salt Poured Into Wounds As Its Discovered Nurse Stole Victim's Money While He Lay On His Deathbed!!
- NFL Legendary Coach Bill Cowher's Wife Dies at the Age of 54!!!
- Suliana Tonga accused of killing Jennifer McGinty with a vodka bottle for soiling her couch!!
- Drunk Driver Plows into Multiple Bike Riders!!!
- Addition To 1st Degree Murder Charge, Lil Boosie Being Investigated For Ties To String Of Homicides Including Rap Rival "Nussie" [Video]!!
- Mexico's bloodshed worsens as 200 hundreds die in last 7 days
- Utah firing squad executes convicted killer!!
- Oh My Gowd: Woman found living with skeleton, believed to be her mother
- Lucky man rescued after almost being runned over by train!!!
- How Bad is The Economy? Wives Robbing Husbands at Gunpoint!!!
- Topless 61-year-old woman attacks cops with meat cleaver!!!
- You Can Have The Wedding Of Your Dreams For Just $400 At McDonalds!!!
- Sexting Teenage Girl Lands Man Naked, Tied Up And Stun Gunned!!!
- Native American Farmers Win $680M in Discrimination Suit!!!
- 69-Year-Old Grandma Shoots Intruder With Her .38 Special!!
- Homeless man calls 911 from hot tub, seeks cocoa!!!
- Conn. driver falls from car on I-95, Vehicle goes on!!!
- Cops: Drunken caller demands ride to Central America, is taken to central booking!!!
- Caught On Tape: Florida Cop Runs Over 17 Yr Old On Bike, Killing Him, Then Plants Gun On Boy's Body [3 Videos]!!
- HORRIBLE!! 13 Year Old Chicago Boy Shot 22 Times When Masked Gunman Opens Fire On Crowd!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 COMMENTS:
Post a Comment